Who doesn’t love a bowl of custard? Whether served chilled or hot, one cannot resist the aroma, flavor and texture custard brings.
For a dish that’s worked its way around the world before ending up on your table in India, the custard has had its fair share of identities.
This simple dessert made of eggs, milk, and sugar have managed to hit the cord. There is much to be said about the much about the simple appealing and rich-tasting fruit custard.
For many, plain custard invokes memories of mum’s cooking for celebratory lunches and dinners which ended on a sweet note. So get ready as we try to go underneath what makes the dish so loved or skip to the end for a simple recipe.
For a younger generation, the custard is a recipe that any fool can make it. All you need is a packet of custard powder.
When we make one from the store brought, we are eating forgery!
The technique of making custard with milk and eggs lies in making it from scratch which is both straightforward and rewarding.
So let’s get started!
- Add the milk, butter and vanilla pod to a pan set over a low-medium heat and heat until simmering. Then, remove from the heat and leave to infuse – the longer it is left the more pronounced the vanilla flavor will be. If you don’t have a vanilla pod, vanilla extract will do.
- Whisk eggs yolks, corn starch, and sugar in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour in the slightly warm milk onto the eggs and sugar, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk until you are left with a smooth liquid.
- Return to the pan and reheat over low heat, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once. If you are not using it straight away cover it with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming.
For making fruit custard, just add fruits of your choice. One can use seasonal fruits only make sure to use citrus free fruits as it can curdle the milk.
- Wisk the custard thoroughly before adding fruits.
- Peel & chop fruits and refrigerate before serving.
- Pour custard over the fruits and serve chilled with a scoop of ice-cream.
Liked this recipe! Be sure to add this mouth-watering delicious dessert in the menu of an upcoming celebration!